My name is Arne Jochens and I am a FIDE Master from Germany. I love chess, in particular endgames, the English Opening, the French Defense, Bent Larsen, Tigran Petrosian, good chess books, and teaching. I learned the game relatively late myself (when I was 16 years old) and am mostly self-taught (the hard way). This makes me a good teacher because I created my own curriculum and learned very consciously. I have coached students both privately and in groups at the club and state level since 2000. Currently I am Director of Content and a Primary Instructor at ChessUniversity.com.
Outside of chess I am a mathematician with a Dr. rer. nat. degree (similar to a Ph.D.) in biology (statistical genetics) from Kiel University. I am married and have one daughter. My native language is German, but I also speak English fluently.
Some information about myself:
- Arne Jochens
- Highest FIDE Rating = 2306
- FIDE Master since 2012
- 16 years of chess coaching experience
- Chess University Primary Instructor and Director of Content
- Twice able to help my team to get promoted to the Bundesliga (first German league)
- Have competed against many strong Grandmasters